Education Level: Intermediate to Advanced
This is a 3-hour workshop focuses on a review of the most relevant information technical terms, vocabulary, and team due process in the special education field, adapted specially for interpreters that provide services during Initial team meetings, eligibility determination, annual reviews, reconvenes, and mandatory re-evaluations.
Medical interpreters participating in this training program will be able to:
- Identify the different types of special education meetings, including the content reviewed, the evaluation processes and types of evaluations.
- Identify the basic principles, key terms, and technical vocabulary used in special education.
- Identify the most effective interpreting modality (i.e., consecutive vs. simultaneous interpretation) and protocols for a given special education encounter.
- Recognize the sequence steps in the eligibility determination process for disability categories and disability determination for special education services.
- Describe how an IEP is developed and evaluated.
- Define placement.
About the Trainer
Dr. Cheryl Ortiz holds a Doctor of Philosophy. Currently, she is an Evaluation Team Chairperson for the Worcester Public Schools. Dr. Ortiz represents the school district in Initial, annual and reevaluation team meetings, determines eligibility for Special Education Services, and maintains compliance standards for state and federal regulations regarding Special Education. Prior to her current role, Dr. Ortiz served as a Bilingual Special Education Teacher, an ELL Literacy Enrichment Academy Coordinator, and as a Bilingual Learning Disabilities Specialist. In these capacities, her role was to develop and implement Individualized Education Programs for learning disabled students.
Successful Completion Requirements
Participants are expected to sign-in and out, attend the entire program, and complete an evaluation. Certificates will be distributed to participants by mail within 6 to 8 weeks following the program.
Fees & Terms
- Workshop Only: $35.00
- Workshop + CE Credits: $80.00
- Payable by phone at 774-578-7037 or 508-556-1333 prior to event
Accreditation/Approval Information: Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCH) Approved – This program is accredited by CEAP for 3 CE hours, CEAP accreditation #9754. Application for continuing education credits at IMIA has been submitted.
Refunds: CHI does not provide refunds after 10 full calendar days prior to the date of the program.
Special Requests/Questions/Concerns: If you have any questions, please contact Flavia Perry or Laisson DeSouza: email@example.com or at 774-578-7037 or 508-556-1333.
Registration is now closed.
A Zoom Link will be provided via e-mail to participants registered and paid for the event.